School: Scoil na gCeithre Máighistrí, Dún na nGall (roll number 14247)

Location:
Copany, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Cathal Mag Fhionntaigh

Filter stories

Back
/ 338 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Magherabeg Monastery

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1035, Page 207

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Magherabeg Monastery is about a quarter of a mile from Donegal Abbey. It was founded in the early years of the 15th Century. The Community was large, and flourishing and devoted themselves to the discharge of parochial duties in the district lying between St. Ernans and Barnesmore.

The church lands attached to this monastery lay to the lay to the [sic] south of the town, and formed a long narrow strip, parallel to the River Eske, but half-a-mile distant from it, and ending east of Driminin.
In this [connescion ?] it must be noted that there was no separate parish of Donegal till 1730. Killymard and Drumholme were con [coterminors ?].
In 1611 Paul Gine (one of the English adventurers who got lands in Donegal) had to leave his Castle at Ballyweel, but was given the Monastery on Magherabeg instead. Tradition has it that the monks driven by Magherabeg established

(continues on next page)
Collector
Adhamhnan Mag Fhionntaigh
Gender
male
Age
13
Language
English