Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Magherabeg Monastery is about a quarter of a mile from Donegal Abbey. It was founded in the early years of the 15th Century. The Community was large, and flourishing and devoted themselves to the discharge of parochial duties in the district lying between St. Ernans and Barnesmore. The church lands attached to this monastery lay to the lay to the south of the town, and formed a long narrow strip, parallel to the River Eske, but half-a-mile distant from it, and ending east of Driminin. In this connexion it must be noted that there was no separate parish of Donegal till 1730. Killymard and Drumholme were coterminors.In 1611 Paul Gine (one of the English adventurers who got lands in Donegal) had to leave his Castle at Ballyweel, but was given the Monastery on Magherabeg instead. Tradition has it that the monks driven by Magherabeg established(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Adhamhnan Mag Fhionntaigh