Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Weather wisdomIn this locality the following signs are considered to indicate the approach of rain -
1. The cat sits on the hearthstone with its back to the fire.
2. The crows are very noisy when going home to the rookery.
3. Ducks quack a great deal.
4. The smoke does not rise up out of the chimney but falls on the roof.
5. It's a sure sign of rain when sheep begin to bleat and make for shelter.
6. The crows in winter and the swallows in summer fly low.
7. Fog on the hilltop.
8. Frogs change their colour.
9. The cat sharpens her claws on the table leg.
10. the soot falls down in lumps.
11. Wagtails come about the yards.
12. Corns become troublesome.
13. The dog is seen eating grass.
14. The flags of the kitchen become damp.
15. Wind whistles under the door.
16. When sheep travel early in the morning.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.