School: Gníomh go Leith (B.) (roll number 1703)

Gneevgullia, Co. Kerry
Cormac Ó Laoghaire
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0451, Page 311

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0451, Page 311

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Gníomh go Leith (B.)
  2. XML Page 311
  3. XML “Gníomh go Leith”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. Early History:-
    Rathmore comprises three Parishes, and had its boundaries adjusted at different times. Before 1800 it was known as Cnoc-na-gCapal (Knocknacappul) and was then united with Gneevguilla, and to Nohoval Daly soon after 1800. Some time previous to 1700, Rathmore and Gneevegiulla formed part of Kilcummin parish and were known as East Kilcummin and in the year 1704 the parish priest of E.Kilcummin lived at a place Scautor probably the district now called Scrahanaguallane or Scrahanaville.
    Entry:- "Register of baptisms for the parishes of Knocknacoppel, Gneevguillla and Nohoval Daly (Knocknagree) 1896. Silvester O'Sullivan P.P". This priest lived at Mausrour [?] and had the farm of land at present owned by Patrick Brosnan. Mausrour [?]. Some very old people remember having heard of the priest's neatly kept house below the road, and a well kept garden north of the road. He was of middle size active and had a ruddy complexion. He was a native of Molahiff. He very probably built the three village school of
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. time
      1. historical periods by name (~25)
        1. penal times (~4,335)
    2. objects
      1. man-made structures
        1. historical and commemorative structures (~6,794)
    Gneevgullia, Co. Kerry