Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Cuan an Bhainigh (Bannow)
- XML Page 079
- XML “A Ghost Story from the Sea”
- XML “Geneva - Locally Pronounced Genaivey”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)over so they had to stay on the land till morning. When they got a boat in the morning and rowed over they found Kane in the ship but his head was gone and he was not able to tell a thing about what happened.
He had to be sent to Enniscorthy (Asylum) and although he got better he was neer the same man again.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- The houses in Brandane along the road are called Geneva. I never heard why they were called that name. They are all small thatched houses. and they have no bit of garden. I often heard my father say that the old people said these houses were built by people who were evicted by Boyses. They had nowhere else to go and they were let build their little cabins by the edge of the road. Anyone can see the difference between the houses and the other houses; the people never got back to their farms and had to go out to work and that is how the houses look so small.
From Peter Colfer, Vernegly, Bannow: Age 66 yrs.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.