School: Cuan an Bhainigh (Bannow)

Carrick, Co. Wexford
Tomás Breatnach
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0876, Page 052

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0876, Page 052

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Cuan an Bhainigh (Bannow)
  2. XML Page 052
  3. XML “Raths and Forts”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. There are two fairy forts in the district of Bannow. On is Crosby's rath on the top of the Hill of Graigue.
    It is round in shape and just inside the gate. The people, who own the field, in which the rath is, never plough that part of the field.
    A story is told of a man who ploughed that part of the field
    The next morning the horses were all pairs.
    There is another rath in Newtown right beside the sea. One night a man was going by this rath when he found a bag of coal
    He brought home the bag of coal and burned it. It burned the same as ordinary coal.
    Lights are said to be seen in Crosby's rath.
    Even as late as the 31st May (1938) three girls named Eveline Maddock, Philomena and Eileen Colfer, John Colfer and Mrs. Colfer were returning from a ninety - eight commemoration
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. place-space-environment
      1. legendary and spiritual places (~158)
        1. fairy forts (~5,616)