On this page
As the penal laws were relaxed about the year 1830 there was a hedge school in the townland of Townwhite[?] where Mr. John Kelly lives at present. The master taught a few years there under very poor circumstances. There was another school in a byre belonging to a man lived where mrs. Stewart at present. This school was called Parker's school because the byre belonged to a name names Parker. Just between 75 and 90 years a go a man names Gallagher, grandfather of the present master Gallagher of Killargue taught there. The seats were rocks of stones with boxes of hay for coverings. The pens were made of quills pulled from the wing of a goose. The teachers pay was small, six or seven pounds all that the parents of the children could afford to pay.