The stone with inscription from the Hurley tomb was originally in the wall of the old Cathedral of Emly. This Church was knocked in the year 1827, being then in a bad condition of repair. It had been, since 1641, used for Protestant Service.A new Protestant Church was built in 1827 with the stones of the previous one. It contained, built into the walls, any monuments that were in the old church. Amongst those was the stone from the Hurley tomb; and also a stone with the Arms of Emly carved on it. The Protestant congregation having dwindled away, the church built in 1827 was knocked in 1877 and the stones were carted to Monard and a Protestant church built there with them. Before the stones were built into the wall men from Emly went by night on a few occasions and took some of the stones, including this one - The loss was discovered and search was made high and low for the missing stones, which were buried and hidden in various places. The Hurley stone was for some thirty years hidden in a large gullet under a bohereen in the marsh. In 1911 when the schools were being built Canon Power, Parish Priest of Emly, got the stone put into the wall which bounds the school yard.
- T. M. Loftus B.A.