School: Cill Chuimín, Durlas Éile (roll number 12538)

Kilcommon, Co. Tipperary
Donnchadh Ó Cuinnéain
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0542, Page 338

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0542, Page 338

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Cill Chuimín, Durlas Éile
  2. XML Page 338
  3. XML “Teachers of This School”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. The schools - Boys and Girls - were built in 1885. Prior to that the school was the Draper shop now owned by John Crowe.
    Francis Bannon - a native of Moyne was principal from 1880 to 1915. He resigned and was succeeded by Thomas J. Lynch. Mr. Bannon died Nov. 2nd 1935.
    Thomas J. Lynch from Broadford, Co. Clare April 26th 1863.
    Trained in old St. Patrick’s. He taught in Limerick Workhouse for thirteen years, was then appointed Principal at Broadford, Co. Clare until 1904 when he became Principal of Upperchurch Co. Tipp. Appointed to Kilcommon in 1915. He resigned June 30th 1927. An athlete of no mean repute he played football with Limerick Commercials winning with them the All-Ireland of 1887, played Rugby with Garryowen in winning of Munster Championships 1894-‘95. Died Jan.18th 1936.
    Martin Carey: born at Coonmore, Rear Cross April 8th 1870. Trained De La Salle.
    Assistant in Kilascully, Hollyford, Cappamore. Appointed Assistant Kilcommon April 1st 1899. Resigned June 30th 1935. At present residing at Reiska Kilcommon, Vo. Tipperary.
    The Schools were amalgamated on January 1st 1935.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. objects
      1. man-made structures
        1. buildings
          1. schools (~4,094)