School: Drong (roll number 15699)

Location:
Drung, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Seán P. Mac Gabhann

Filter stories

Back
/ 273 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Local Stations

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1117, Page 228

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The Local "Stations".
Ireland, all through the ages, has been noted for its fidelity to the Faith. In olden times, when there was a price on every priest's head, the people heard mass in caves in the hillsides.Their faith has not changed since then, as is seen by the attendance at the local "stations", which are held twice yearly, in Lent and October.
About a month or six weeks before the "stations", the priest announces in order to let people know in what houses the "stations" will be held and also the dates. The inmates of those houses commence to clean their house from top to bottom, and to renovate them. They have the room specially cleaned as that is where the priest says mass. The table, or some such article of furniture, is used as an altar, with flowers and two wax candles placed on it. A picture of the Sacred Heart, or of the Crucifixion, is hung above the "altar".
At about eight o'clock in the morning, the people of the district gather into the station house. The parish priest and one of the curates arrive at about half-past

(continues on next page)
Collector
Annie M. Harrigan
Gender
female
Address
Quigley's Point, Co. Donegal
Language
English