School: Grianán Ailigh (roll number 2049)

Grianan of Aileach, Co. Donegal
Niall S. Mac Aoidh
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1108, Page 172

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1108, Page 172

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Grianán Ailigh
  2. XML Page 172
  3. XML “The Story of Inch Castle”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. Inch castle is situated on Inch Island beside Lough Swilly. It was built in the year 143 [?] by the ODoherty's. The Castle ruin is on private land and is not accessible to the public.
    The castle walls were built with huge stone boulders.The mortar used was mixed with the blood of oxen so that it could bear the brunt of war and weather. All around its walls there were holes which were always manned by snipers in the time of seiges.
    In the year 1454 Rury ODonnell ordered the castle to be burned. Donnell ODonnell was tied in the castle. Rury took pity on him and ordered his release. Rury was
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Philomena Mac Grath
    Castlecooly, Co. Donegal