School: Tankerstown (roll number 15304)

Location:
Tankerstown, Co. Tipperary
Teacher:
Thom. F. Meagher

Filter stories

Back
/ 392 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Old Schools

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0575, Page 310

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The old Schools
The present school at Tankerstown is built 37 years.
The old school stood just in front of the present school.
It was erected in the year 1847.
It was a three roomed house.
It was the only school between Bansha and Cahir and children all the way from Bansha came there.
There was another much older school at the back of Jim Phelan's house. Mr Nagle and Mr Tierney were the teachers there.
The oldest school of all was at the Green in Killaldriffe and James Scanlon was teacher there for some time.
The site is still shown near the gate in Mr Byrne's field.
The old school at Tankerstown was divided into three rooms one the master's and the other the mistresse's with a hall in the centre where the other teacher taught

(continues on next page)
Collector
Joe Dalton
Gender
male
Address
Ballymorris, Co. Tipperary
Informant
Mr James Dalton
Gender
male
Address
Ballymorris, Co. Tipperary
Language
English