Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Cnoc na Biolaraighe
- XML Page 099
- XML “Another Story of Priest Hunting”
- XML “A Battle at Shanbally on the Banks of the Bride”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)kill him when they would be left go in the field.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- In the north bank of the river Bride at the outskirts of Watergrasshill parish stands the ruins of the home of Redmon Barry. This Redmond Barry was the head of branch of the Barrymore family. He owned all the land on the north side of the river, this land is now in the possession of Mr. Denis Cahill is particularly fertile being a rich limestone.
The country north of this is mountainous being part of the Nagle Mountains or Suidhe-Fhinn. In those mountains lived a part of the old Irish Clan OKeeffe who were always making raids on Redmond Barry's lawd so much so that the latter had a guard posted every night at the gateway leading to his home. At the time of our story Redmond Barry had a body of 75 men. A shoemaker lived in Ballinaltig somewhere near Mr. Leahy's farm and Redmond Barry employed him to make boots for himself and his men.
Every morning this shoemaker went to Redmond Barry's house and worked for the day then returning home in the evening. This particular evening when the sentry opened the gate to let the shoemaker pass a body of men rushed the gate killing the sentry. Then they rushed the building and put the whole of its(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.