Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
About two miles North of Balbriggan is a downland which bears the name of Knocknagin which means in Irish, the Hill of he Heads. The towns land takes it name from an ancient mound adjacent to the new bridge over the Delvin, the small river which divides the counties of Dublin and Meath. In 1840 the mound was explored by the late George Alexander Hamilton, M.P. of Hampton Hall, Balbriggan, who took deep interest in local antiquities. Mr. Hamilton has given the following particulars concerning the historic landmark at Knocknagin. The mound, when opened was found to be composed of small round stones and shingle from the sea-shore. Under-neath he surface of the mound was encircled by a wall of huge stones. A rude platform apparently beaten clay, upon which was an immence heap of burnt human bones, was discovered within the circle, and also a chamber constructed of huge flags, some of them more than six feet in height. Inside the chamber was a huge rude stone basin which bore evident marks of fire, and around were remains of charcoal, or burnt wood, and a large mass of semi-calcined human lo bones. Scattered among the bones was a number of beads formed of polished stone, of a conical shape with a hole through each, near the apex of the cone. Some light is thrown on the funeral pile at Knocknagin by the ancient annalists and the information furnished by those authorities regarding the historic spot quoted by Dr. Hammer in his Chronicles of Ireland." It is stated that a fierce battle(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.