School: Ss. Peter & Paul (B.), Balbriggan

Balbriggan, Co. Dublin
Liam Cadhla
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0783, Page 305

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0783, Page 305

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Ss. Peter & Paul (B.), Balbriggan
  2. XML Page 305
  3. XML “Legend of Rock-a-Bill”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. 305
    Legend of Rock-A-Bill
    Balor Beimeann - Farney - Cow & Calf. "Evil eye" - turned cow & calf immediately into Granite. Light house to day
    Peats Field outside Balbriggan - 2 old mill stones on old Coach Road - with its Inns "The Cock" "Bridge Foot Inn" "White Hart" "The Cuckoo"
    Balrothery up to a few years ago could be seen the stone erected to memory of Patrick Harrell who is reputed to have shod King Wms horse after Battle of the Boyne - it mentions this on stone x stone was removed to Protestant Church - but subsequently disappeared - remains of it local people say are broken up against - E. wall of church.
    2 Daly
    This stone can be seen in 2 parts lying near L. H. corner of Protestant Church. Farrel dies Mar 1727. (37 yrs after Boyne) The site of Farrells Forge is still pointed out in village at Ash tree (Inscription on Ash tree - P. A??)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. objects
      1. man-made structures
        1. historical and commemorative structures (~6,794)
    2. place-space-environment
      1. local lore, place-lore (~10,595)
    Rockabill, Co. Dublin