School: St Garvan's, Rathmullen

Location:
Rathmullan, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Séamus P. Mac Eiteagáin

Filter stories

Back
/ 198 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Oileán na nUan

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1089, Page 60

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Oileán na n-Uan is situated in Lough Swilly near New Bridge. It is also called the "Lambs Island". People can walk out to the point of it except at a very high water. Cows and sheep graze on it in the summer time.

There was a woman living down at New Bridge and she had no cow. One day a cow came to her and stayed with her until she had three calves. One day after the cow had calved there came a wee woman into her and she had beaslings and the other woman told her to go out or she would strike her with the tongs. The the wee woman went out to the street and called, "Cu, Cu, Cu" and the cow and the three calves rose and lighted down on a rock at the point of Oileán na n-Uan and from that day to this day the cow's tracks are to be seen on a rock called Carraig a Bháidhte

(continues on next page)
Collector
Mary Ferry
Gender
female
Address
Lehardan, Co. Donegal
Informant
Mrs Katie Coyle
Gender
female
Address
Lehardan, Co. Donegal
Language
English
Location
Lehardan
Location
Lamb Island