This townland belonge to the Earl of Ormond, in the 17th century. During the first half of the following century it belonged to one Edward Cooke, who, at his death, in 1751, bequeathed it to Dr. Michael Cox, then Protestant Bishop of Ossory, and subsequently Protestant Archbishop of Cashel. From Dr. Cox descends the present proprietor, Lieut. Colonel Henry J.R. Villiers-Stuart, of Castletown House. There are no remains of the castle from which Castletown is named, nor is there a tradition of any castle having been ever in the townland. The present Castletown House was built by Dr. Cox, about 1760. Its predecessor, the residence of Mr. Cooke, stood close to it, in the orchard, till it was taken down about 1840.