30.4.'38.Story told by John Sammon,Quin .Co. Clare.
Quin Abbey was built as a result of a vow made Macon Macnamara ,Lord Clanculein in 1402.At the time he was living in Dangan Castle.His son and heir,a boy of four years of age was found missing search being made for him,he was found in a pond in the lawn and taken out dead. His parents made a vow that if God restore him to them they would found a church in Quin as a thanksgiving offering.The boy was restored to life on the Feast of St.Francis the 4th of October 1402.On that day the boy received the additional name of Francis ,a name much honoured by the Macnamara family from that time to the present.
School: An Daingean, Cuinche
On this page
30.4.38.On a stone gate pier leading to Mr Blood's land in Ardsollus ,Quin,Co.Clare was a large flat stone on which was written in large"cut" letters:"Entertainment for Man and Horse"It is supposed it was in the wall of one of the hostels which stood near the famous Race Course of Ardsollus.This stone was removed from the pier by some person unknown and cannot now be traced.
Told by Dan Corbett, Ballykilty,Quin, Co. Clare.