School: Borris (C.)

Location:
Borris, Co. Carlow
Teacher:
Bean Uí Loinneáin

Filter stories

Back
/ 546 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Borris (C.) | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0904, Page 435

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(continued from previous page)

Munster and Connaught forming classes here and there. He finally settled in this parish, where his descendants still flourish.
Where the Ball-alley in Marley now stands, there was a fine Protestant School in the middle of the 19th century. It was built in 1846 by Lady Harriet Kavanagh, an Ulster woman, and the wife of the renegade Catholic, Thomas Kavanagh, Borris House.
She installed Mr Divine, an Ulster man, as teacher there. She invited all the children, Catholic as well as Protestant, to attend this school and she promised to feed and clothe every pupil. During the black famine years '47 and '48 Marley school was over-crowded but, when the good years came, the attendance dropped almost to zero and the school was closed. Lady Harriet got other employment on the Kavanagh estate for Mr Divine, whose descendants are still in Borris.
A poor Catholic farmer of Newtown made up his mind during the

(continues on next page)
Collector
Maureen Clancy
Gender
female
Address
Borris, Co. Carlow
Language
English