School: Cill Dara (Pres. Convent) (roll number 15599)

Kildare, Co. Kildare
Sr. Philomena
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0779, Page 014

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0779, Page 014

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Cill Dara (Pres. Convent)
  2. XML Page 014
  3. XML “The Gray Abbey”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. The Gray Abbey
    This Monastery, which stood on the south side of the town where some remnants of it are still to be seen, was erected for Franciscan Friars in the year 1260, by Lord Willia de Vesci, but was completed by Gerard Fitzmaurice, Lord Offaly.
    In 1294, William Vesci, Lord Justice accused John FitzThomas, first Earl of Kildare of felony; they both sailed for England to have their dispute decided by the King and Council. It resulted in John FitzThomas challenging his opponent to single combat, a course approved of the King, who named a day for the purpose. When the day approached Vescie secretly sailed into France.King Edward on hearing of his flight bestowed Vescie's Lordships of Kildare and Rathangan
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.