School: Cill Dara (Pres. Convent) (roll number 15599)

Kildare, Co. Kildare
Sr. Philomena
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0779, Page 027

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0779, Page 027

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Cill Dara (Pres. Convent)
  2. XML Page 027
  3. XML “Castle of Rathangan”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. The town of Rathangan, on the Little Barrow, stands in the ancient parish of the same name, now incorporated with Kildare. The name signifies the Rath of Jomghain. The Rath is still to be seen near the Protestant Church, and measures about 180 ft. in diameter. Jomghain is a proper name signifying Vulnerator, and was of frequent occurence in ancient Ireland.
    The Manor of Rathangan, came into the possession of the De Veseys, soon after the English invasion; they were the founders of the Castle, which with their other possessions passed into the hands of John FitzThomas, first Geraldine Earl of Kildare in 1316.
    In 1354 during the rebellion
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.