School: Cill Dara (Pres. Convent) (roll number 15599)

Kildare, Co. Kildare
Sr. Philomena
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0779, Page 068

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0779, Page 068

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Cill Dara (Pres. Convent)
  2. XML Page 068
  3. XML “Castle of Carrick”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. Adjoining the Churchyard of Carrick is the ruinous Castle of Carrick- Oris, formerly belonging to the Berminghams.
    This was the Court of Pierce Bermingham in 1305 and consequently the seat of the treacherous Baron, so bitterly complained of by O'Neill and the other Irish Chieftains in their remonstrance to Pope John XXI
    O'Connor Faly, Maelmora, his kinsman, and Calvagh O'Connor were invited by Peter Bermingham to an entertainment in his Castle on the Feast of the Holy Trinity and the instant they stood up from table, he cruelly massacred them with twenty-four of their followers, and sold their heads
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.