School: Cill Dara (Pres. Convent) (roll number 15599)

Kildare, Co. Kildare
Sr. Philomena
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0779, Page 005

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0779, Page 005

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Cill Dara (Pres. Convent)
  2. XML Page 005
  3. XML “Kildare Cathedral”
  4. XML “Kildare Round Tower”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. (continued from previous page)
    Church was plundered and burnt, and time and again rebuilt and repaired. The wars of the 17th century left the Cathedral a complete ruin. In 1872 the work of restoration was taken in hands and as a result we have the Cathedral as it stands today. The great central tower was rebuilt and other portions of the Church roofed in, the Duke of Leinster being the chief contributor to the fund for carrying on the works. The Cathedral, at present is owned by Protestants and although practically a ruin, a wing has been fitted up for the dozen worshippers who assemble there for religious service.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.