Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Cluain Leamhac (Cloonloo)
- XML Page 063
- XML “The Patron Saint of this District - St Attracta”
- XML “The Patron Saint - St Attracta”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)got safe. Once there was a war between the McDermotts and the O'Gara's and the O'Gara's were pursued by the McDermotts to the shore of Lough Gara and they prayed to St. Attracta for help and the waters of the lake divided and they got safe.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- St Attracta is one of the patron Saints of the diocese of Achonry. As she spent much of her time in Killaraght the place was called after her. She tried to establish a convent there but it was unsuccessful. She built a ford across Lough Gara near Cuppenagh. She built a house below the ford to accomodate the people that were crossing the ford. It is said that when her enemies pursued her to the shore of Lough Gara and she could not escape she prayed to God for deliverance and that the water of the lake divided and let her pass safely.She travelled the diocese of Achonry and the places where she rested are marked with holy wells. There is one in Monasteraden called Tobberarract, one in Kilfree above Gurteen and one(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Maureen Mc Donagh