School: Danescastle

Danescastle, Co. Wexford
Micheál Ó Loinghsigh
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0875, Page 059

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0875, Page 059

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Danescastle
  2. XML Page 059
  3. XML “Names of Fields”
  4. XML “Kiltra District”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. (continued from previous page)
    The Yard field : The field nearest the farm-yard
    Hyne's Lawn : After owner named Hyne's
    "The old town field" because there was a Chapel and a goodly few houses there long ago.
    "The Cotter's Garden" on account of the number of small holders that lived there.
    The "Wood Meadow" A Meadow running alongside a wood
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
  2. "Coal yard field." A Coal Yard in it.
    The coal boats came from St Kearn's and deposited their loads in it
    "Flat Field" because it is so level.
    "The Moat Field" because of a Moat in it
    "The Mine Road" So called because of old led and Silver mines there.
    The "Hill of the Thoker" runs from the end of the Green Road towards Bannow School
    It was made in the year 1850 as part of a System of Public works started by the then Governent to relieve distress
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Kiltra, Co. Wexford
    Mrs Long
    Kiltra, Co. Wexford