School: Aill Bhreac (roll number 12103)

Aillebrack, Co. Galway
Eilís Bean Mhic Chonghaile

Filter stories

/ 211 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Aill Bhreac | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0005, Page 207

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(continued from previous page)

language, several poems and songs of considerable merit, which have become such favourites, that there are but few of the Irish speaking natives who cannot repeat some of them from memory.

The Plague. This memorable pestilence was called Buidhe Chonnaill, yellow plague of Connell. Connell is supposed to have been the name of some distinguished man who died of it.

A bane of dogs:- This island is now called Cruach Island and is still remarkable for "its store of rabbits".
North of it is "Fryar's Island". Both are uninhabited but afford good pasturage.

Ard Oilean, High Island. This is the most remarkable island of the group mentioned. It lies a short distance west of Friar's Isle, and like it is uninhabited and difficult of access. Here the celebrated St Feclin founded a monastery, formerly in great repute. A considerable portion of its ruins still remains, and several stone crosses are erected around them. There are also here some of those old stone houses or cells called Cloghans. The Four Masters record, that in A.D. 1017 Gormgal, Primh Anmchara or principal father confessor of all Ireland died in Ard- oilen. The second life of St. Fechin states that after the saint finished the monastery of Omey he founded another in Ard-oilen. This island is also in the ocean, and is distant a few leagues

(continues on next page)