Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- In the parish of Annaduff, now amalgamated with Kiltoghert; there is an old abbey, named the abbey of Liagh or Laig, founded in 766. It is beside the present church of St. Ann, which was built in 1815. In the abbey there are 2 curiously shaped stones, hidden by the Nesbitt fault; which is built inside the walls of the abbey. on the outside facing the main Dublin road, are 2 gargoyles, worn by time, though the faces are still discernible. For many years there was the old font, in the abbey but this has disappeared & it is not k now where it has goneThere are the ruins of the old parish church, close to the village of Drumsna half way up the hill, it was used till 1774, when the present church of St. Ann was erected beside the abbey the old building being sold to the Presbyterian body, it eventually went to ruin & was bought as a burial ground by the Parke family & contains the remains(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.