School: Mercy Convent, Cootehill

Cootehill, Co. Cavan
Sr M. Aidan
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1018, Page 197

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1018, Page 197

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Mercy Convent, Cootehill
  2. XML Page 197
  3. XML “Forges”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. There are five forges in the parish. The owners are:- Mr Boylan, Mr. Higgins, Mr. Flynn, Mr. Drum and Mr. Clarke. The ancestors of Mr. Flynn and Mr. Drum have been blacksmiths for over one hundred years.
    Mr. Boylan's forge is situated at Knappa Bridge, which is near a cross road and a river. Mr Higgins's is by the road-side at Middle Chapel Cross. Mr. Clarke's and Mr Flynn's are situated in Cootehill. There are two half doors at the entrance to the forge.
    The roof is made of galvinized iron and there is no fire place inside. The bellows are set on a cross bar and the iron nib is through the brick-work on to the fire. A long handle is used to blow the bellows.
    These are made locally. A hammer pinchers, knife, clincher and an anvil are the implements used. The smith shoes horses and asses and repairs spades, picks and ploughs.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. activities
      1. economic activities
        1. trades and crafts (~4,680)
          1. smithing (~2,389)
    James Fanning
    Other names
    James Fanning
    Mr James Fannon
    Cootehill, Co. Cavan