Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Caisleán hAicéid
- XML Page 0019
- XML “Signs of the Weather from the Sky, the Sun, the Moon, the Stars and the Rainbow.”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Signs of the weather from the sky, the sun, the moon, the stars and the rainbow.
1. A yellow ring round the moon at night is a sign of wet weather.
2. The sun drowned in the clouds is a sign of wet weather.
3. A red sky in the morning is a sign of rain and a red sky in the evening is a sign of fine weather. "The evening red and the morning grey are said to be signs of a very fine day. The evening grey and the morning red bring down rain oir travellers head."
4. If the stars twinkle frost is to be expected.
There is another old saying that a rainbow in the morning is the shepherd's warning and at night is the shepherd's delight.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.