School: Béal Dearg (roll number 11582)

Location:
Belderg More, Co. Mayo
Teacher:
Pádraig Mac Conghamhna

Filter stories

Back
/ 461 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Wrecks

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0139, Page 265

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The only wreck remembered here is the wreck of a small collier called "The Mary Wilson" She was wrecked here on the 14th of August 1884. She left Lough Swilly bound for Galway with a cargo of coal. A nor-west wind was blowing and it was very wild.
Somewhere around the Stags of Broadhaven she lost her sails and drifted towards Belderring bay. She lost her steer at Carraig a Trághadh and was thrown in at the mouth of the river. She had four of a crew Captain McDonnell, Jack Nallen, mate Hugh Henry and Barry.
She was so close to the shore that Barry thought he would swim to land. He jumped overboard and the current carried him out to sea and he was lost.
The coastguards succeeded in saving the others. The ship and her cargo was auctioned and was bought by an Englishman, Arthur Mudge, who lived in Glenlossera. He used her timbers for fence poles and the remains

(continues on next page)
Language
English