O'Gorman's wood seems to be the origin of the name Cill-Ua-Gormain. At present ten families occupy the townland. Before the famine twenty six families lived in it.A family named Gibneys lived beside the school on the farm now owned by Thomas McPartland. Two sons became priests and went on the Australian mission. The elder Fr Matthew became bishop of Perth while his brother Father Patrick Gibney had a parish in the Archdiocese.
The late Most Rev Dr Gibney was ordained at All Hallow's College, Dublin in June 1863, and sailed for Australia where he arrived after a four month voyage. On that voyage he received thirteen of his fellow passengers into the church.
When he arrived in Western Australia there were only three churches there. When he retired from the bishopric in 1911 the diocese of Perth had 81 churches, 1 Cath College, 21 superior Catholic schools, 2 orphanages, 2 reformatories, 1 Magdalene Asylum, 2 hospitals and 1 monastery. For this Dr Gibney was
(continues on next page)
- Margaret Maguire