Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Conary, Avoca
- XML Page 048
- XML “Hidden Treasure”
- XML “Funny Stories”
- XML “A True Local Happening”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- In Knockenree there is a Raheen on Mr Murphy's land. While ploughing near it he ploughed up an earthenware pot containing coins, which were supposed to have been put there by the Danes.
Knockenree, AvocaTranscribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Mrs Maher of Kilmagig used to tell the following Story:-
"I have seen the Fairies go across Knockenree Hill opposite my own house. They wear red coats and ride horses. They are only about one foot high. When I see them crossing the hill, I know there will soon be a storm."Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- One evening before Christmas about the year 1932 a postman was going home. When he came to Knockenree turn where these fairies were supposed to have been seen, he heard a band playing. He was taken off his own road for about a half mile up the Knockenree road. He had his bicycle with him. He(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.