(continued from previous page)
charter of liberty - granted to it by Earl William Marshall in the 13th Century.
It's periods of devastation and plunder during hostilities between Art Mc Morrough Kavanagh and the English Colonists of the Pale. However its population does not seem to have diminished or at last it recovered its olden glory, for it sent two representatives to Parliament during the 17th Century - In fact from 1634 down to the Union.
It would appear however that when the neighbourhood had yielded up all its mineral wealth or at least ceased to be a paying proposition, the inhabitants of Clonmines drifted to other centres and the place fell into decay
In 1684 Robert Leigh who kept many chronicles which throw light on the South - Wexford of the 17th century wrote - Clonmines is now quite a ruin, only four or five castles and an old ruined church called St. Nicholas and a Monastery also ruined which did formely belong to the order of St. Augustine. Yet it sends to Burgesses, to Parliament still and was governed by a Portriffe and Burgesses (the buidings of Clonmines Castle) are associated with the names of Sutton, Purcell, and Fitzhenry.
However it is with the monastic story of Clonmines we are concerned here, since the most remarkable of its many ruins is the imposing Augustinian Church of St. Nicholas. We learn that in the Clonmines of ancient days, there was a Dominican Church, a church of the Hermit Friars of St. Augustine, and a small chapel called
(continues on next page)