School: Shelbaggan Convent

Shelbaggan, Co. Wexford
An tSr M. Breandán

Filter stories

/ 058 Forward
Resolution: Low | High

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0874, Page 027

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page


The present parish of Ramsgrange is modern and only dates from 1863 when it was formed out of the large parish of the Hook.
Up to the year 1863 Ramsgrange was one of the four curacies of the Hook : - Diuncannon, Ramsgrange, Templetown and Poulfur, but on the death of Rev. G. Murphy, March 17th 1863 Bishop Furlong divided the parish of the Hook into the parishes of Ramsgrange and Templetown - Rev. T. Doyle becoming the first pastor of Ramsgrange and Rev. W. Codd first pastor of Templetown.
The thatched chapel of Ramsgrange was burned on June 19th 1798. The present Church was built in 1838-1843 (87 yrs) towards which a sum of £500 was collected on June 5th 1842 on the occasion of a sermon by the famous Rev. T. Maguire. Very Rev, Canon Doyle who had been C.C. of the Hook from 1853 - 1858 was appointed P.P. in Ramsgrange March 17th 1863. During 41 years his voice and pen were untiring in the cause of Faith and Fatherland. He gave up his house to the Sisters of St. Louis. Not alone did he introduce the Sisters of St. Louis but also the De la Salle

(continues on next page)