School: Killea (roll number 14460)

Killea, Co. Tipperary
Éamonn Mac Craith
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0546, Page 025

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0546, Page 025

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Killea
  2. XML Page 025
  3. XML “Graveyards”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. There are three graveyards in Killea parish.
    One in townland of Park still used
    one in Killawardy not used
    another in Killough (in oak) not used
    Killea is more or less round and is raised above the surrounding land. It slopes more or less towards the South East. The remains of an old church are still there. People are buried within the walls. Until quite recently trees, beech, ash, elder, white thorn and fuchsia grew there. The oldest tomb stones are simply plain slabs. The oldest date seems to be 1700.
    Killough is unused but still fenced in.
    Killawardy has no fence. Mounds are pointed out as being graves. There is no fence. The field in which it is in is called The Church Field.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. objects
      1. man-made structures
        1. historical and commemorative structures (~6,794)
          1. graveyards (~2,501)