Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Droichead na Ceathramhna
- XML Page 451
- XML “Care of Our Farm Animals”
- XML “Food in Olden Times”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)Written by Eddie Carroll,
Derrynahinch.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Long ago the people used to take three meals a day - breakfast, dinner and supper. Before the breakfast the people would do two hours work; then they would take a basin of porridge and a can of milk and eat it with wooden spoons. Then they would take potatoes and buttermilk and sometimes they would take "Scailtín" which consisted of flour, onions, pepper and salt all boiled on milk and water. They used to take porridge for the supper or sometimes Indian-meal-bread or oatmeal cake. The oatmeal cake used be made with oatmeal and wet with water and then baked on a tongs. The young children used to take "Flummery", which was flour boiled on milk and sweetened with sugar.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.