School: Elphin (B.) (roll number 1753)

Elphin, Co. Roscommon
Mícheál Ó Cianáin
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0250, Page 374

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0250, Page 374

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Elphin (B.)
  2. XML Page 374
  3. XML “The Friaries”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. Long ago there were two Friaries one in Kilmacumsey and the other in Loughcausk. Their remains can still be seen. A path led from one to the other. At that time a family named Minches lived at Foxboro and the path went through their lands. They objected to the Friaries crossing their lands because they were a protestant family.
    One dark night they captured a Friar and dismembered him. They cut his heart and liver out and left him lying on the path during the night. In the morning when the other Friars found him they buried him at Curracreigh about three miles from Elphin. Four hills mark his burial place. On each hill some of his limbs were placed and in the hollow in the middle his heart and head were buried.
    They got a harrow and put it on one of the hills with a lighted candle on each spike. After that they cursed anyone that
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.