School: Elphin (B.) (roll number 1753)

Elphin, Co. Roscommon
Mícheál Ó Cianáin
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0250, Page 369

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0250, Page 369

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Elphin (B.)
  2. XML Page 369
  3. XML “Cloonahee”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. A few miles on the East side of Elphin Cloonahee House is situated. This house was owned by a family named Hagues. That family got the house when the Irish chieftains were evicted by the English. The Irish family that was evicted from the house was the Conreys.
    In the 16th century a renowned priest was born in the Conrey family. Flaherty O'Maol Connaire was Archbishop of Tuam about the year 1608. In Spain he administered the last rites of the Hugh O'Donnell. He also wrote famous Irish books mentioned in A de Blacan's "History of Gaelic Literature"
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. agents (~1)
      1. historical persons (~5,068)