(continued from previous page)
near-end of Cavan went.On Saturdays the farmers threshed their oats in the school-room, and on Sundays mass was read there. The only seats were wooden stools and large sods of turf.
About the year 1819 there was a school in Tullyveela. The master was one Peter Maguire and his subjects were Latin, Greek, together with a sprinkling of English and Arithmatic. This school had neither seats nor desks, maps, pictures nor black-boards, like our schools of the present day.
(continues on next page)