School: Inch Island

Location:
Carrickanee, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Pádraig S. Mac Fhinn

Filter stories

Back
/ 157 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Inch Fort

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1110, Page 145

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

First it was an old tower and in the year 1895 it was remodelled by Camel and Son's Belfast. These are the names of local workmen. Joe Durnin, James Sweeny, Alic Craig, Hugh Whoriskey James Doherty, Patrick Craig, James Hardy and Ned Craig. Mr Beard was the foreman. It was built by concrete and brick. Soldiers did not stay in it long, but just when they came in ships they stayed for the night. The British Government occupied it first and in the year 1921 the British left it. And in the year 1922 the Republicans stayed in it

Collector
Maisie Whoriskey
Gender
female
Address
Castlequarter, Co. Donegal
Informant
Eddie Duffy
Gender
male
Address
Castlequarter, Co. Donegal
Language
English