During the famine of 1847 a very holy and charitable priest lived in Annamoe: At that time the Church was there, and the Doctor's residence is built in the place where the Church was. He was very good to the poor during the famine time. He made a boat which could fold and carried it with him. He would sail across Lough Dan lake with food to the people at Luggelaw. This priests name was Rev. John Gowan. C. M. who in later years entered Vincentian Order Phibsboro Dublin. He was also one of the founders of the Sisters of the Holy Faith. He died on the 16th of January 1897 at the Convent of the Holy Faith, Glasnevin, in the 80th year of his age.