Scoil: Dunlavin (C.)

Dún Luáin, Co. Chill Mhantáin
Mary Dowling

Scag na scéalta

Taifeach: Íseal | Ard
The Market House

Tagairt Chartlainne

Bailiúchán na Scol, Imleabhar 0914, Leathanach 201

Íomhá agus sonraí © Cnuasach Bhéaloideas Éireann, UCD. Féach sonraí cóipchirt »

Ar an leathanach seo

The market House in Dunlavin, an imposing building in the centre of the town, owes its origin to the Right Honourable James Tynte, who built it in the year 1758 at the cost of twelve hundred pounds. He lived to see the work completed dying in the same year.
It is a very large building, and it is supported by four large pillars,. It is mainly made of granite and there is a granite dome on it. The windows are a very peculiar shape.
During the troubled times a bell and window were stolen from the black Abbey in Kilkenny and hidden in the Market House. Lately Miss Tynte, a descendant of Sir James Tynte, and the present landlady of the town, restored the bell to its rightful owners, but the stained window still remain in the Protestant Church. Sixteen men were also killed on the pillars of this Market House.
The twelve thousand pounds Sir James Tynte left was to beautify the town. It was thought that this was the best way possible and so, the Market House of Dunlavin was built.

Kitty Norton