original colony came from Tintern Abbey in Monmouthshire. The first Abbot was John Torrell.The remains of some finely carved mouldings and mullioned window frames are still to be seen at Tintern. In the garden are traces of an ancient fish pond, which, doubtless, once provided the Abbey with fasting fare.John Power, the last Abbot, surrendered the place at the time of the dissolution. The Abbey and lands were granted to Anthony Colclough, who took up residence there in 1652; his descendants remain still in possession.Overlooking the long tongue-shaped neck of land which is Hook Peninsula proper, is Bag-an-Bun, where the first band of Norman adventurers, Fitzstephen and his thirty knights, landed in the year 1169. Here was initiated the long struggle which brought, subsequently, so many centuries of turmoil and distress.The Point of Hook, in pre-Norman times, was known as Rindubhain, or Rindenan, so called from the saint who, centuries ago, built a hermitage on the storm swept peninsula. The word "Rinn" in Irish means a point of land running into the sea. The full title was, "Rinn Dubhain Ailithir" - the Point of the Pilgrim Dubhain.Brenach, an Irish prince whose early life was not very exemplary, but eventually became converted, left Ireland for Wales, where he became a zealous and successful missionary and established Christianity in Pembrokeshire. Amongst the many conversions made by St. Brenach, was that of Brecan, son of an Irish pagan chief who had left his land to settle in Wales. Brecan became a devout Christian, and married Dina, daughter of a Saxon king named Theodoric. She is named in the Irish Martyrology of Saint Aengus, as the mother of ten holy sons, one of whom was Dubhain.