Scoil: Mullingar (Pres. Convent) (uimhir rolla 934)

Suíomh:
An Muileann gCearr, Co. na hIarmhí
Múinteoir:
Sr. Brigid

Scag na scéalta

Taifeach: Íseal | Ard
Brewing

Tagairt Chartlainne

Bailiúchán na Scol, Imleabhar 0736, Leathanach 015

Íomhá agus sonraí © Cnuasach Bhéaloideas Éireann, UCD. Féach sonraí cóipchirt »

Ar an leathanach seo

Brewing industry was carried out in Patrick St. - somewhere near No 7 of today. The brewery about 100 years ago was owned by a man named Adams who lived in Rathconnell Castle. Later it passed into the hands of a Mr Sherlock and finally it was bought by an old family of the town -named Murray. About 1850 it was in full swing, and was in the hands of his two brothers John and James Murray.
The farmers of the district sowed great crops of barley and carted them in to the brewing-yard for sale. Work commenced at 5 a.m. and it was no uncommon sight to see carts lined up in rows waiting at that early hour to dispose of their loads. Brewery was a great asset to the town. It gave great employment although the wages were low.
Mulllingar being a military town, and the demand for whiskey, porter, ale great- the traffic to and from the brewery was so great - that to accomodate all

(leanann ar an chéad leathanach eile)
Bailitheoir
Cora Donnelly
Inscne
baineann
Seoladh
An Muileann gCearr, Co. na hIarmhí
Faisnéiseoir
Miss Murray
Inscne
baineann
Aois
67
Seoladh
An Muileann gCearr, Co. na hIarmhí
Teanga
Béarla