School: Pitfield, Inis (roll number 11091)

Location:
Cluain Draighneach, Co. an Chláir
Teacher:
Tomás Ó Maonaigh
Browse
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0606, Page 185

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0606, Page 185

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.

Download

Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Pitfield, Inis
  2. XML Page 185
  3. XML “Scéal Oileánach - Rowing”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. Between the years 1870 and 1880 there existed a keen rivalry between the crews of Coney Island and Low Island, two islands adjacent to each other at the confluence of the rivers Fergus and Shannon.
    Their prowess as rowers was known from Limerick to Kilrush and from Clare Castle to Foynes and it was an accepted fact that no Regatta meeting was complete except those two crews competed in opposition to each other.
    It is generally believed that the year 1874 was the most exciting year of all.
    Coney Island had won the first two races - one at Kildysart the other at Foynes, and her crew was recognised as champions for that year, by their friends in the surrounding islands.
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Languages
    Irish
    English
    Collector
    Thomas Meaney
    Gender
    Male
    Address
    Cluain Draighneach, Co. an Chláir
    Informant
    Michael Meaney
    Gender
    Male
    Address
    Oileán na gCoiníní, Co. an Chláir