Ar fáil faoin gceadúnas Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Nóta: Ní fada go mbeidh Comhéadan Feidhmchláir XML dúchas.ie dímholta agus API úrnua cuimsitheach JSON ar fáil. Coimeád súil ar an suíomh seo le haghaidh breis eolais.
Ar an leathanach seo
- The chief family in this district of Kilnamanagh Lower, before the coming of Cromwell, was the O'Dwyers. They owned castles and land. One of their castles was built in the town - land of Garryduff East in what is still known locally as the Castle Field on the land of Mr John Price near the village of Dundrum.
When passing through South Tipperary after the surrender of Clonmel by Owen Roe O'Neill, Cromwell entrusted the capture of the O'Dwyers stronghold to a certain Captain Maude. The O'Dwyers fled after setting fire to their castle or, according to others, after its capture by the Cromwellians.
Captain Maude received all the land in the neighbourhood. He built Dundrum House not far from the site of the O'Dwyers Castle, no trace of which now remains. The Maudes kept a big estate around Dundrum House, but some of the land was let to Irish farmers at the usual high rents.
Some of the tenants bought out their land under the Ashboure Act of 1885. Sometime later the last of the Maudes, Earl de Montalt, and his family, after dividing the remainder of the estate and selling Dundrum House left the country. The forestry department took over the woods and have since planted more.
The Nuns of the Presentation Order in Thurles later purchased Dundrum house. In part of it they keep a Domestic(leanann ar an chéad leathanach eile)Tras-scríofa ag duine dár meitheal tras-scríbhneoirí deonacha.