During the Penal times the people of Emly had a little thatched chapel there near the village.It was situated in Mrs Creagh's field, to the right of the gate. It was a very poor little cabin. It had a mud floor in it. No sign of it now remains. Very few people are able to describe anything about it. That church remined until the year 1809., when a new one was built.In 1809 the new church was built up a lane from the main street. It was a very large church. It had no steeple, and had no bell. They used to ring a bell up and down the street to remind the people about time for Mass. There were two galleries in it with stone steps going up to them from outside. It was built by Fr. William Kenneally. That church was used down to the year 1883. St. Ailbe's Church was then built. The old church was then used as a school. Nows it is used as a village hall. There are two priests buried in it - Fr. Kenneally and Fr. Paul Heaney. St. Ailbe's Church is a beautiful building. It was built by Canon Power P.P. It was opened on the 6th January 1883. Local people drew stones to it., There are three very beautiful altars in it. There is a very fine pulpit in it also. It is made of several different kinds of marble. All the wood work was done locally by a man named Danny Quinn. The new church stands near the side of the old cathedral in Emly. It is not yet completed. There is a spire yet to be put on it. There is a fund to build the spire. If the spire were built the church would look very beautiful.