There have been a great number of churches in Emly long ago. They were nearly all in the same place. They stood where the grave yard now is. There are no ruins or marks to show us where they were. The place was raided numberless times and the Danes destroyed everything. Then, in later rimes, people used the stones of the old churches to build new ones. The stones of the old church were removed from the district.The first church stood at the south-eastern corner of the grave yard. There were foundations found there under the ground. People digging graves found them. It is said that it was the earliest church. It was belonging to St. Ailbe. In the raised place in the centre of the grave yard stood the Cathedral of Emly. There is nothing left there. People digging graves meet foundations, drains, and flags. It was a Catholic Church in the early times. Then the Protestants took it and used it as a Protestant Church. It was in a ruined condition after that. Then the Protestants knocked it in 1827. Then the stones were used to build a new one in practically the same place. Then the Protestant population lessened in Emly and in 1877 they knocked the new church and carted the stones to Monard Protestant Church. The ancient stones of Emly Cathedral are now in Monard Protestant church. There are a few stones kept in the Parish of Emly. There is a slab in the wall of the school yard out of the old church. There are a few in the wall near St. Ailbe's Church. There are stones buried in a mound near the gate as you go into the grave yard. There are a few stones in farmers' places through the district which are out of the Cathedral of long ago.