The first National School opened in Emly in January, 1852. It was in the building which now is the houses of Mrs McKeogh and Mrs Hackett. The first National School Teacher was a Mr. Michael Ryan of Ballinvrina. He retired in 1876.Then a Mr. McNamara was appointed in 1876. The school was transferred to the Hall in 1883. The New Church was built that year and the old church was made into a school. He was a native of Co. Clare. Mr. Purcell came there next. He only stayed there for a few years. Then he retired and went away to be a priest. He died soon after being ordained. A Mr. Molloy of Oltown came next. He only stopped there a short time. He retired because he got very bad in his health. Then a Mr. James Quane came in September, 1902. He came to the New Schools from the Hall on the 10th September 1918. He died in August 1921.Next came Mr. Loftus on the 10th October 1921. He is still teaching in Emly.