Long ago Mr Maher had a Classical School in Emly. He taught Latin and Greek to his pupils. He prepared young men for entrance to Thurles College. Where William O'Grady's house is now situated one of his schools stood in years gone by. He had a school where Miss Kirby's house is now also. He taught for a long time till he died about the year 1875. Some of the older priests of the diocese were taught by him.When Canon Power came to Emly in 1876 he founded another Classical School. He took a room in the village hall for his school. That room is now used as the Supper room. He got taught much the same subjects as Mr Maher did. The pupils were prepared for Thurles College and the other ecclesiastical colleges. Hundreds of priests all over the world were educated there and many others of other professions. One teacher usually taught there and at some times two. Pupils from the locality and boys from other places who lived with their friends were taught there. The attendance was about 40 pupils each day. The first teacher was a Mr Connolly. Some of the principal teachers who followed were Mr Leahy, Mr Ryan, and Mr Foley. The last teacher which taught there was Mr Cyprian McCarthy. The school was gone down and he left the place in 1915. He was then killed in the Great War. All the teachers that ever taught there were highly educated men.